Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
The Data Systems team builds systems that bridge the gap between raw business data and consumable data products that the business can trust and take action on. We engage with business partners to define their use case, their needs, and then provide that product in the most useful format.
Our ideal candidate has a strong service-oriented mindset. They have engaged effectively with stakeholders to ensure they’re building the right systems that empower its users and allows them to pursue more ambitious project work. They foster lasting relationships that reduce barriers to pursuing ambitious work for users. They have experience operating business-critical systems at a high-level. They make tradeoffs and concessions that aim to have minimal user disruption. They’ve collaborated effectively with partner teams to build highly performant, reliable, and observable systems that produce minimal toil for operators.
Our ideal candidate takes an engineering approach to their service management. They develop tooling that reduces operational work for the entire team. They strive to spend most of their time doing project work rather than directly operating software.
What you’ll do:
- Build batch and real-time data pipeline to surface new internal and third-party data sources for easy analysis.
- Build aggregated and historical datasets, dashboards, and APIs to support getting the right data to the right people at the right time.
- Contribute to advancing goals around data governance policy creation/enforcement, business metadata cataloging, and access control.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You show strong judgment with building systems for stakeholders.
- You collaborate effectively with cross-functional peers to advance initiatives.
- You take an engineering approach to service management.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases (e.g., MySQL, Postgres).
- Experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures, and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency, and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- They should also have experience using the following software/tools:
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools (e.g., Airflow, Luigi, Oozie, Azkaban).
- Experience with GCP cloud services: BigQuery, Dataproc, Dataflow, etc. or comparable cloud platform services.
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Beam, Spark Streaming, Kafka Streams, etc. is a plus.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, or Scala.
- Experience with Looker a plus.
- Experience with Alation a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, OR equivalent years of relevant experience.
*Mailchimp currently offers flexible and remote options in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington. If you are unable to work from one of these registered locations, you will not be eligible for employment.
The minimum base salary for this role in Colorado is $121,000. For all other locations, base salary will vary by geographic market and will will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications.
Curious to how hiring has shifted related to COVID-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are working toward becoming a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.