Kickstarter CEO to Try 4-Day Workweek
Kickstarter is a Brooklyn-based crowdfunding platform that helps entrepreneurs and creatives bring their projects to life.
In 2022 Kickstarter announced that they would be joining 4 Day Week U.S. and implementing a four-day workweek. The decision was mostly inspired by the pandemic remote work says Kickstarter CEO Aziz Hasan.
The pandemic has caused immense stress and pressure on both professional and personal lives. In response, Aziz Hasan decided to try out a four-day workweek to give his employees a better sense of work-life balance. This move was praised by Chris Mullen, executive director at The Workforce Institute. Mullen advises most employers to try it, provided they first gauge employees’ interest and engage in significant dialogue about how to do it effectively.
The 4 Day Week U.S. program was launched in part by Kickstarter executive Jon Leland and is a spinoff from 4 Day Week Global, a not-for-profit that promotes a shortened work schedule. The 4 Day Week U.S. circulates an employee petition to help identify companies to target and encouraged employers to join the program.
Jon Leland explains in his Twitter thread; the 4-day workweek is getting a lot of attention lately, and while it’s understandable that some are skeptical, business leaders need to understand what a 4-day workweek means. At Kickstarter, it means providing better balance and rest to employees, while still getting the job done. As he further explains most of their job can be done within 32 hours, however in times of crisis they will need to work 5,6, or even 7 days a week.
The change that Kickstarter implemented to its schedule had a profound and positive impact on the organization and its employees – Jon added.
Jon’s tweet discuss other 4 day workweek benefits, here are some of them:
- Improved focus and better processes.
- Better balance and rest.
- Increased productivity and improved performance.
- More time to spend with family and loved ones.
- Increased job satisfaction and lower employee turnover.
- Improved organizational culture and morale.
- More time for civic duty and creative pursuits.
- Improved economic and social justice.
Kickstarter is leading the way in implementing a four-day workweek to help its employees achieve a better work-life balance. This move is one that many other employers should consider helping their employees. By engaging in dialogue and gauging employees’ interests, employers can benefit from a four-day workweek and create a better work environment for their employees.
- List of 6 Mistakes That People Make During an Interview - December 6, 2023
- Sharpen Your Interview Speaking Skills with These Tips - December 5, 2023
- Nail the Response to “What Can You Do For Us That Other Candidates Can’t?” - November 28, 2023